Guides’s Résumé Karen Stolz
- Outdoor Experience
- Rock & Ice Climbing Experience
I started technical rock, ice and alpine climbing in 1979 and I have climbed very actively since that time. I have not attempted to list all of the climbs I have done. I have listed the approximate number of different routes completed at each area. These climbs range in length from a short rock pitch to more than 15 pitches of mixed climbing, and multi-day alpine routes. I have led more than 90% of the pitches on these routes and have guided the vast majority of these climbs. I have led free climbs up to YDS 5.10 in difficulty, ice climbs to NEI 4 and alpine climbs to AD/TD. I have done many routes more than once; these ascents are not reflected in this list.
- United States
- Northeast Region
- Adirondack Mountains, New York I have guided the vast majority of these routes including all the major and most of the minor cliffs, slabs, gullies and waterfalls - 350 routes
- Shawangunk Mountains, New York - 50 routes
- Little Falls, New York - 15 routes
- Bald Mountain, New York - 4 routes
- White Mountains, New Hampshire - including Cannon, Cathedral, Whitehorse, Huntington Ravine and other areas - 25 routes
- Pawtuckaway State Park, New Hampshire - 2 routes
- Mount Desert Island, Acadia National Park, Maine - 10 routes
- Delaware Water Gap, New Jersey - 7 routes
- Quincy Quarries - Massachusettes - 3 routes
- Den Rocks, Massachusettes - 2 routes
- Ralph Stover Park, Pennsylvania - 15 routes
- Stoneyridge, Pennsylvania - 11 routes
- Southeast Region
- Hanging Rock State Park, North Carolina - 2 routes
- Stone Mountain, North Carolina - 7 routes
- Table Rock, North Carolina - 1 routes
- Looking Glass, North Carolina - 3 routes
- Rocks State Park, Maryland - 5 routes
- Carderock, Maryland - 5 routes
- New River Gorge, West Virginia - 20 routes
- Seneca Rocks, West Virginia - 5 routes
- Rocky Mountain Region
- Boulder Canyon, Colorado - 5 routes
- Eldorado Canyon, Colorado - 6 routes
- Estes Park, Colorado - 2 routes
- Garden of the Gods, Colorado - 2 routes
- Red Rocks, Nevada - 10 routes
- Zion, Utah - 3 routes
- Western Region
- Joshua Tree, California - 50 routes
- Pinnacles,California - 4 routes
- Tahquitz/Suicide, California - 5 routes
- Yosemite, California - 5 routes
- Mt Rainer, Washington - 1 route
- Mt Shuksan, Washington - 1 route
- Mt Hood, Oregon - 1 route
- Val David, Quebec - 10 routes
- Niagara Escarpment, Ontario - 5 routes
- Lions Head, Ontario - 5 routes
- Blue Mountains, New South Wales - 17 routes
- Booromba Rocks, Australian Capital Territory - 12 routes
- Mount Arapiles, Victoria - 26 routes
- Mount Buffalo, Victoria - 8 routes
- Dolomites, South Tyrol - 15 routes
- New Zealand
- Castle Rock, Christchurch - 10 routes
- Darrans Mountains, Fiordland - 6 routes
- Mount Cook, Canterbury - 5 routes
- Annapurna Sanctuary - 2 routes
- Upper Marsyandi Valley - 1 route
- Cayambe - 2 routes
- Cotopaxi - 1 route
- Illinizas - 1 route
- Chimborazo - 1 route
- Pinchincha - 1 route
- Pasachoa - 1 route
- Mt. Kilimanjaro - 1 route
- Rock & Ice Guiding/Teaching Experience
- Alpine Adventures, Inc., Keene, New York: 1985 - present
Founder and director. Year-round guiding and instructional service for rock and ice climbing serving clients from throughout the United States, Canada and elsewhere, with a wide range of programs, at beginning through advanced levels of abilities. Since 1987 I have guided climbing (or skiing) about 200 days per year. The vast majority of my climbing has been in that capacity since that time.
- Crag Courses, Doylestown, Pennsylvania: 1982 - 1984
Founder, director and instructor. Rock climbing school serving individual students and institutions in southeastern Pennsylvania/New Jersey area, beginning through advanced levels.
- Institutional Climbing Consultant, Sydney, Australia: January 1985
Staff trainer and climbing consultant for Sydney City Mission, a non-profit organization dedicated to serving Australian youth at risk. Designed a therapeutic adventure program for this organization.
- Syracuse University Outing Club, Syracuse, New York: 1979 - 1981
Volunteer leader for climbing trips for university students to destinations throughout the eastern United States.
- Alpine & Nordic Skiing Experience
- I have skied 1966 throughout the northeastern United States both on alpine and nordic equipment. Since 1981 I have concentrated on backcountry nordic skiing, including telemark skiing, backcountry touring and descents of wilderness peaks.
- Alpine & Nordic Skiing Guiding/Teaching Experience
- Alpine Adventures, Inc., Keene, New York: 1985 - present
Founder and director. Year-round guiding and instructional service for backcountry skiing serving clients from throughout the United States, Canada and elsewhere, with a wide range of programs, at beginning through advanced levels of abilities.
- Non-Technical Mountaineering & Backpacking
I have been backpacking, mountaineering and summer and winter camping in the mountains of the northeastern United States since 1970. I have spend considerable time in the backcountry of Canada, Mexico, Ecuador, Peru, Nepal, Australia and New Zealand. These excursions were mostly to access and support activities such as technical climbing and high-altitude mountaineering.
- Representative Experience
- Trekked around the Annapurna Massif (200+ miles), Nepal, 1984; guided Tent Peak, 2012
- Climbed Mt. Batur, Bali, Indonesia, 1984
- Hiked extensively in the Southern Alps of New Zealand (in conjunction with climbing), 1985
- Climbed numerous non-technical peaks in Ecuador and Peru for acclimatization purposes, 1988 - present
- Numerous winter and summer wilderness trips in the Adirondack Mountains, 1970 - present
- Other Pursuits Teaching And General Experience
- Yoga & Meditation Instructor - Private studio for Iyengar Yoga since 2002, karenstolzyoga.com
- SCUBA Diving and Snorkeling - I have explored reefs in the South Pacific, Indonesia, Tahiti, Costa Rica, several Caribbean islands, Florida Keys and northern Florida springs. National Association Of Underwater Instructors Certified SCUBA Diver, 1982
- Bird-watching - I have been involved in birdwatching since 1977 and have visited numberous bird sancturaries in the United States, Ecuador, Peru, Costa Rica, Caribbean Islands, and Nepal.
- Canoeing, kayaking and rafting - I have paddled many rivers in northeastern United States, on flatwater and whitewater. I have negotiated up to Class III water in open canoes.
- Sailing/Running/Cycling/Swimming - for fun and fitness.
- Education, Training & Professional Activities
- Bachelor of Science, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York, 1980
- New York State Licensed Guide: Rock and Ice Climbing, Hiking, Camping, 1985-present
- American Mountain Guides Association Professional Member 1987-2002
- Adirondack Backcountry Rescue Team Member, 1985-present
- Whiteface Mountain Gondola Evacuation Team Member, 2005-2008
- Keene, New York Ambulance Squad Member 1985-2000
- Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician, 1990
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician, 1990
- American Red Cross Basic Water Safety, 1986
- “The Backpacking Experience”, Marhull/Schwally Productions, video-taped interview and demonstration of ice climbing, aired September 1996 through present on WNET, the Outdoor Channel and other outlets.
- “A Day On the Rock”, Guidelines, New York Outdoor Guides Association newsletter, April 1996.
- Personal Data
Born October 26, 1955
Married since 1982